Frequently asked questions
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is VCIS part of Visalia Unified School District?
- VCIS is the only Visalia Unified independent study school. VCIS adopts the same district core courses and texts for consistency.
- Can my student be enrolled at VCIS and another high school at the same time?
- No. However, courses that are not offered at VCIS and are available at other VUSD high schools may be taken upon administrative approval.
- Can my student be enrolled at VCIS and play sports at another high school?
- Does VCIS have a graduation ceremony?
- Yes, we have a full graduation ceremony annually in the Mineral King Bowl. We average 225 graduates annually.
- Can students graduate from VCIS and attend a university?
- Yes, VCIS is WASC accredited, as well as UC and NCAA approved
- Does VCIS provide college and career support assistance?
- Can students attend VCIS and COS concurrently?
- Can my student attend all-school district dances?
- VCIS students are part of the district and allowed to go to all-school district dances such as Harvest, Winter Formal, Spring Fling and Prom.
- Does my student have to attend classes at VCIS?
- Students are required to attend a weekly meeting with their supervising teacher, as well as any classroom courses in which they enroll.
- Does VCIS provide child care for teen parents?
- Does VCIS provide special education services?
- Yes; however, VCIS does not provide skills level courses.
We do not live in Visalia, can my student still attend VCIS?
- Students residing in Tulare County, or any county that touches Tulare County may enroll at VCIS